Growing up, bread was the morning staple. Bread and eggs, bread and tea, bread and sardines… Bread and almost everything, really. If you’re anything like us, then you’ve eaten a whole lot of bread in your lifetime too.
We’re curious though. Just how much do you know about bread? You know a lot about it, don’t you? Not so fast. Here are some weird facts about bread you probably didn’t know:
- BREAD AS MONEY… or maybe even more important than money. As a matter of fact, bread was loaned out as currency in Egypt and Middle Age France. King Louis IV once said “He who controls a nation’s bread is a greater ruler than he who controls their souls”! Maybe we should start treating our “agege bread” as the national treasure that it is, don’t you think?
- LOVE CHARM: Oh you read that right. According to Scandinavian traditions, if a boy and girl ate from the same loaf, they would likely fall in love. How are you feeling about adding bread to your next picnic date with the crush?
- DEAR WEIGHT WATCHERS, AVOID BREAD. If you’re on team fitfam, bread – particularly white bread, is one food to avoid. Spreads are high in fat, and the creation of sliced bread has led to an increase in the sale of spreads, which are a major culprit when it comes to waistline “spreads”.
- BREAD WORSHIP IS A THING.Oh you read that right. Bread worship is a thing. And it is called ‘artolatry’
- THOSE TAGS YOU YANK OFF… Oh we know. You just yank them off when it’s time to open the loaf, so you can dig into your fresh, luscious slices. Those tags are actually color coded, and are used by the person stocking shelves to determine what loaf is old and needs to be taken off the shelves.
- VARIETY; SPICE OF LIFE: There are over 100 types of bread, and bread has been a staple for 300,000 years. Apparently, it’s not only in Nigeria we eat bread every morning.
- WIDELY CONSUMED. VERY WIDELY CONSUMED. Bread is the most widely consumed foodstuff in the world, and is even considered a sign of world unity, because it is consumed everywhere in the world.In case you were wondering why your family members always ask you to bring bread when you’re going to your hometown, you have your answer!
- A Swiss proverb says “Avoid those who don’t like bread and children”. Word to that!
Well, how many of these facts did you know? Know any more weird facts about bread? We’d like to know!