Fitfam, Keto dieting and Veganism are some of the trends that show that people are being more deliberate about weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. It is no news that section like organic food sections, and gluten-free sections usually contain foods that are priced higher than similar items in other sections. With all these, and a gym membership to boot, it can be quite frustrating when despite everything, fat in places like the belly refuse to go! And you are left wondering what you’re doing differently from the Kardashians who manage to come out of maternity wards with the perfect beach body!
Well, don’t lose hope just yet. There might be some habits that are not in keeping with a healthy lifestyle which you haven’t let go of yet. Here are five of them
1. WRONG KIND OF TEA: So whether you drink your tea like English royalty…nice cup, little finger sticking horizontally straight; or you drink it by the gallons from one of those basin-like cups…if you’re particular about weight loss and having a trim waist, you might want to look into fat burning, metabolisms-boosting tea brands. This includes teas like Rooibos tea, White tea, Green tea, Pu-erh, and Oolong tea. It just might be some random tea standing between you and your weight loss success!
2. TURN-UP EATING: Turn-ups have become a thing in Nigeria, Lagos specifically. When there is no food and drink event, people are organizing their own gigs themselves and creating their own fun. This is actually a good thing because as a study found, the more often people eat with others, the more likely they are to feel happy and satisfied with their lives. The flip side though, as others studies suggest, is that when we eat with other people, we consume up to 30-50% more than when we eat alone. So turn up but don’t be that person who keep wanting to try what others are having, or taking recommendations you ordinarily wouldn’t consider had you been by yourself.
3. SOCIAL MEDIA JUNKIE: So your healthy regimen consists of healthy eating and hours spent in bed Facebooking and thinking up clever comebacks and witty posts to make you the next twitter superstar. Physical activity is also essential to having a fat burning and shedding calories, and lying immobile for hours on end will not help.
4. LOW TRACKING: Tracking does not just cover checking the calorie count and nutritional on foods –particularly processed foods– consumed. You should also monitor and track your progress to see what is working and what is working against you. It helps too if you are doing this with friends so you can motivate each other.
5. LATE NIGHT MEALS: When you stay up late, there is the tendency to want to feel ‘peckish’ and eat late night meals. It is usually recommended to skip snacks and miss your night meal altogether when it gets too late as a late meal might cause you acid reflux, indigestion, and belly fat. If you must eat anything, then have some fruit instead.
Are you guilty of any of the above? Are there other bad habits you’d like to share? We’d be happy to hear from you.