9 FUN FOOD FACTS
A lot of our favorite foods actually have interesting stories about them that would blow your mind – all facts! Some are actually not the fruits we believe them to be, and historically, some have been put to other uses that would have you double-checking you’re your shopping list, and putting their contents to new uses. Here are 10 facts about foods that you would definitely find interesting!
- Vinegar will melt pearls. Pearl is Calcium Carbonate and vinegar is Acetic Acid. They react to give Calcium Acetate, Carbon Dioxide and Water. The Acetate formed is soluble in water.
- Garlic is a natural insect repellant
- Bananas are berries and strawberries, blackberries and raspberries aren’t. In science speak, a berry is a fruit produced from the ovary of a single flower in which the outer layer of the ovary wall develops into an edible fleshy portion (pericarp)
- Honey is the only edible food that never goes bad
- Ripe cranberries bounce like rubber balls. Talk about ‘playing with you food’. Who needs marbles and balls…
- Ketchup was used and advertised as a medicine in the 1800s to treat diarrhea, as a jaundice, indigestion, and rheumatism. It was even made into pills.
- Large doses of nutmeg can cause a hallucinogenic high. In large doses, they can cause psychotic episodes such as delusions and hallucinations
- The most popular carrots used to be purple. Before the 17th century, most carrots consumed used to be purple, with a few white and yellow cultivars found growing wild.
- The most expensive fruit in the world is the Japanese Yubari cantaloupe. At an auction, a pair of these melons once auctioned in Japan for $27,295 dollars. That’s err… 9,826,195.57 NGN when converted to naira. That’s enough to build a house and buy a car in these parts.
Which of this is your favorite point. We’d love to hear yours is you know of any interesting facts about food.