YAM AND PLANTAIN PORRIDGE
Yam Porridge with plantain is an incredibly rich and tasty one pot meal, and as the name implies the recipe is basically made with porridge and plantains, seasoned with salt and fortified with spinach and dry fish.
- 10 medium cubes African Yam
- 2 semi ripe plantain
- Chopped onions
- 2 red bell pepper (tatashe) + 1 tomato (blended)
- Palm oil
- Seasoning cubes
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 cup shredded Smoked fish (any kind) – cleaned
- 4 Pieces of cow hide (ponmo)
- 1 tablespoon blended crayfish
- Chopped fresh vegetables
- Peel the Yam, and cut it into small cubes, rinse the cubed Yams immediately to prevent it from browning and leave them in water until you are ready to use them.
- Cut the plantain lengthwise, remove the core. Chop into chunks, set aside.
- Put the cubed Yams, Plantains, stock fish, salt, cow hide, seasoning cube and 4 cups of water inside a large pot. Cover it up and allow it to cook for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Stir in the blended peppers, tomatoes and Onions, Palm Oil and crayfish
- Use a Potato masher or a wooden spoon to mash the Yam and plantain to your desired consistency.
- Stir, taste and adjust for seasoning. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes
- Add in the chopped vegetables, stir and remove from heat.
- Let it simmer for a minute or two.
- Serve hot!