From childhood days, the sight of squinting northern peddlers pushing their wheelbarrows of wares under the hot sun is not an uncommon sight in many Nigerian cities. From Sugar-canes, to carrots and peppers and other vegetables and fruits, our trusty and friendly ‘abokis’ have never failed to deliver fresh and seasonal produce to us. It was in one of such wheelbarrows that perhaps, many had their first introduction to ‘tigernuts’. Tigernuts, even though they are called nuts, are actually mini tubers that grow beneath the soil surface. Known also by its several local names such as ‘aya’, ‘Ofio’, ‘ aki awusa’, ‘imu-mu’, tigernuts are very delicious with several health benefits which include:
- Libido enhancement/aphrodisiac properties
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- A healthy substitute of milk for the lactose-intolerant
- Aids digestion, stomach upsets and other stomach troubles
- Good source of non-animal protein
- Rich in fibre, and its non-soluble fiber is help regulate blood sugar levels in diabeti patients
- Contain Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Potassium and Argenine which are all essential to general body health
The Kunu Aya is tigernuts, blended with a few other ingredients, to extract a healthy, highly delicious yet sugar-free beverage
If using dry tiger nuts, soak your tiger nuts for 24-48 hours to soften. If fresh, they can be used immediately.
Chop coconuts into smaller bits.
Wash dates, then split open and extract seeds
Wash a few cloves
Blend all ingredients together in a blender with water.
Extract juice using a larger net sieve
Sieve a second time to rid of chaff
Remember, feel free to drop questions or suggestions in the comment section and please Subscribe to our Youtube channel.